Monday, January 11, 2010

The Merchant Errs-- And Pays In The Coin Of Sorrow


I'd like to be able to say I'm such a professional that I never make mistakes.



Since I can't, I'd like to be able to say that the mistakes I make are minor ones, mere peccadillos, barely errors.


Since I can't say that either, I figure that, like the law enforcement adage out of Britain, I "may as well come clean."




You see, the other day the Truck Merchant performed a simple but fundamental act of folly that asploded* both a sale and a budding customer relationship.  I had developed email communication with a customer who was interested in a 2005 Dodge 1500, stock number P21456.  (The orderliness of the stock number makes it memorable to a TM's mind.)  We set up an appointment for around noon for her to view the truck.  I registered the appointment in my Outlook, my Calendar, synced with my Blackberry, and confirmed with the customer.


What I failed to do, however, was to ensure that the truck itself was here for her to see when she came down, all the way from Burnaby, (40 minute drive) for her appointment.  (It was, in fact, at our sister lot, some distance away.)


 Once again, sir, I am shockedShocked to the core!

When I discovered my failure, I moved to correct it quickly.  Unfortunately, the time required was at minimum 35 minutes and involved my driving the customer to a far-off part of Surrey-- and then driving her back here to where her car was parked.  It was either that or she'd have to wait for the truck to be driven in -- likely an hour plus.  Or she could say 'screw you' and leave.  Upon being informed of her options, the customer chose Option #3.



"there was silence... for about half an hour..."  -Revelation 8:1



I couldn't (and don't) blame her.  I can only straighten my shoulders and admit mea culpa.  My face is red, and there is an empty feeling in my abdomen.

 
* Yes, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment